West Seneca, NY Divorce Mediator
The prospect of terminating marriage is often devastating, however, there are several less drastic alternatives to litigation, among them, divorce mediation.
Divorce mediation gives couples a chance to rationally plan their lives apart in an atmosphere of mutual respect and cooperation. During this process, the divorcing parties meet with an impartial divorce mediator who helps them resolve issues and reach a settlement by becoming the 'middle man', so to speak, a voice of reason. They also keep the proceedings on track.
Working with a reputable divorce mediator can help you resolve such divorce issues as financial support, child custody, and property settlement.
How Does Divorce Mediation Work?
The bulk of mediation services offered for West Seneca, NY clients at Divorce Mediation Services of Buffalo, LLC revolve around assets or property division, spousal support, child custody, parenting plans, and visitation schedules. A typical mediation process has six major steps. These include:
- Introductory Remarks – this refers to the mediator's opening statement, which demonstrates his or her neutrality and outlines the participants' roles.
- Problem Statement – the mediator gives each party a chance to tell their side of the story without interruptions. In most cases, the person who initiated the mediation process goes first.
- Information Gathering – at this stage, the mediator asks the divorcing couple open-ended questions to identify any emotional undercurrents. He will also repeat and summarize key issues.
- Problem Identification – the mediator will identify common goals between the divorcing parties. They will also note which issues are going to be settled first and those that require time.
- Bargaining to Reach an Agreement – the goal of this stage is to enable the divorcing parties a chance to find common ground after exploring all available options. The mediator will facilitate and moderate brainstorming sessions to enable the couples to explore potential solutions and provide a chance to modify them so an agreement can be reached.
Save Time, Money & Emotional Distress
The mediators at Divorce Mediation Services of Buffalo, LLC will help you through your divorce issues privately, peacefully, and promptly. Find a mediator that suits your needs. Call us at 716-400-7286, or use the link below to learn more about the mediation process.
Call today, we would be honored to help!
Divorce Mediation Services of Buffalo LLC. Is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or counsel. Each party has been encouraged to be fully advised by their respective counsel regarding the legal, financial, and practical effect of any agreement entered into.